Sunday, April 17, 2016

feminism in the home

    I'd just like to start by saying that I would not consider myself a feminist and I do not agree that the stereotype I of women in a home is always true but i also agree that the stereotype does still exist. In class we were given a paper to read and them talk about in discussion. the title of the paper was "feminism is dead", just by the title you can guess what the paper was about. so when thinking about the arguments of how women are treated differently one that came up was women's role at home.

    It’s a stereotype for many people that women are the ones who clean, cook, and take care of the home and the kids, and the men are the ones who do the heavy lifting work and then otherwise they just sit back and let the women take care of them. I of course, like many women, disagree with this stereotype. I think it can be either gender who takes certain jobs around the home, but there’s nothing sexist if it is the case that the women does the dishes and the man mows the lawn. However you can’t argue that the stereotype doesn’t apply in a lot of situations. In my AP psychology class everyone took a survey about which parent in the house did which chore around the house. For the most part, including in my home, everyone got the same results. The results were that the mother seems to do all the stereotypical “female” chores, such as cooking and laundry, and the dad does most of the “male” chores, such as mow the lawn and pay the bills. so as you can see in most homes, whether they think this way of living should exist or not, it it just the way they work in their home. my dad doesn't complain that "this is a women's job" when he is asked to do the dishes or cook dinner, but usually he only does these chores when he is asked to becasue my mom will be gone for a while. Even then usually those chores are passed on to me or one of my sisters. there are examples however where i see this stereotype doesn't exist, such as my uncles house. in their family my uncle is the one who cooks every meal, and honestly that's just becasue hes a better cook than my aunt. I don't see what happens in their daily lives with the rest of the chores, but i know for the most part they both do all the chores in the house, it just depends on who is there and who has the time to do the things that need to be done. I honestly think this is how a house should run. Any married couple, no matter the genders, should split the chores. I think its the key to a happy home and a happy life. If everyone, including the kids, did every chore no matter what stereotypical label is put on that certain chore, then I think everyone, especially the kids, would learn that there is no difference between what gender should do and can do what chore. People may think this isn't a big issue, and other may over react to how big of an issue this is. However what i believe is that if the wife is good at cooking and can clean and hates to mow the lawn, that's fine, and is the husband is good at cooking and can clean, and hates to mow the lawn, that's fine too. just make sure someone mows the lawn, unless you live in California, then you are probably fine, but back to the point. There's nothing wrong with doing the stereotypical 'female" or "male" chores and there's nothing wrong with the husband cooking, or the wife fixing the plumbing. All you need to do it make sure the stuff that needs to get done, gets done, no matter who does it. However i must add this one bit, make sure its evenly split. in a home where one of the spouses does the majority of the house work and the other one just sits back and relaxes, I would have to imagine that it would not settle well with a certain person in the relationship. So I guess there is my on going argument on how feminism in the home is not a thing, stereotypes are always there, but binding by them or not works either way. 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment